Monday, March 7, 2011

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

So Sunday started out pretty easily, we met my dad for lunch at Deep Sushi (amazing bento boxes by the way) and had talked about checking out the Mardi Gras festivities in Oakcliff. We arrived in the OC way early and almost decided to just head home and not stay for the festivities and what a disappointment that would have been.


We decided to park and just walk around the arts district there and just kill a little time since it was a nice day outside and some sunshine was in order. Lots of neat little clothing shops, eateries, watering holes so it was easy to spend some time roaming around. We went into a shop called Fete-ish where they offered us Hurricaines to drink while we shopped. Clearly this strategy worked because I left the store having purchased things I didn't really need.


So after my little shopping spree we realized it was only about an hour until the parade began so we decided to hang out and have some beers while we waited. Not great beer but it was cold and refreshing and sometimes thats is all that matters. They had a great band playing and were doing a crawfish boil. They were proud of their crawfish and wanted $20 a plate for it but after smelling it for as long as we did we broke down and split one. Lots of work, little reward but DAMN TASTY.

Now somewhere around this time there had been a few more beers and some jello shots perhaps and the parade had started but having fun had become my new priority. We had randomly talked to people in the beer lines and turns out that several of the people we had talked to individually ended up being friends so it was crazy  to see them all together. Missed the parade and all the beads but hanging out and laughing it up with our new friends was well worth it.

More shots, more beers and POOF the parade is over, never even noticed and we all decide to go to Cafe Brazil across the street for dinner. Not sure why I didn't order any food but I guess I was more interested in chatting it up. I felt like I was rambling on kind of like this blog but I was on top of the world surrounded by cool new people so what the hell lol. Everyone's food looked good so I will just leave it at that.

After dinner we all went our separate ways and I'm excited about our next group adventure!! It should be amazing as well. Thankfully we didn't listen to that little voice at the beginning of the day that said "just go home". Who knew that so much fun could be had at a random parade in a random city. Oakcliff has really come up in my book. Thanks to everyone involved for making it a night to remember (mostly).

1 comment: