Monday, April 16, 2012

Friday the 13th!

Hello again everyone and welcome to a quick recap of Friday the 13th and the madness that occurred. You will also get a peek of the end results!! When someone says Friday the 13th I am sure you either think of the horror movies or some sort of bad luck connection. We opted to think like lots of other people and thought, TATTOOS!! Elm Street Tattoos in Deep Ellum has a great event every Friday the 13th where they do $13 tattoos, you kick in a $7 tip and for a mere $20 you can walk out with a tattoo. They have an entire board of options and they all have "13" associated with them in some way. Now I am sure some of you are cringing at just the thought of tattoos and more of you are creeped out by getting a 13 on you, but we were pumped about it, so we went. Click the "READ MORE" button for the rest of the story!!


They started their event at midnight on the 13th and went for 24 solid hours. We arrived at about 5:45 or so and there were about 15 people in line in front of us. This was pretty exciting since we weren't sure how crazy this event would be. We heard that it got pretty crazy but figured we had arrived quickly enough after work hours that we beat the crowd. After about 20 minutes they let a group of 5-6 people in line go inside the studio and we figured that was not bad and we moved up to within a few feet of the front door. We noticed a large number of people waiting inside as well but figured this was all part of the process. Once  we were close enough to the door we realized that there were groups of people getting in that were not waiting in the line. Turns out you could have signed up for appointments the night before so you would not have to wait outside in line. SHIT! We figured no big deal, we were so close to the door that we would be entering soon enough. Turns out we were VERY wrong. They were only letting people in line go in when all the appointments had finished and there was no line inside. This sounds good in theory, but they had groups of appointments every 30 minutes so when the 6pm group was almost finished, it was time to let the 6:30 group inside. But once again, we figured we were only a couple feet from the door and we would be inside soon. 

Jump ahead about 4 hours and we have not moved an inch. The line of people is now stretched down about 2 blocks and the impression we get from hearing the guys manning the door that there would be people in line who were not going to get in by the midnight deadline. At 9:30 the last of the groups with appointments were let inside and we realized that as it approached 10pm we would probably begin moving again. They finally let 3 people in line go inside and at that point we were 4 and 5 in line. About 10 minutes later they let 5 go in and we crossed the threshold into the shop.

Had to fill out paperwork and wait in line again once inside but they dished out of papers to the different artists and we just had to wait to hear our name. Some of you may have seen Ink Masters on TV, it was a reality show for tattoo artists. One of the judges was Oliver Peck, he is one of the owners of this shop so it was awesome to get to see him in person. Richard got his tattoo from Dean Williams, the other owner. I got mine from Little Linda. While we were waiting to hear our names called, I was hoping to get Linda and through a little divine intervention I did. If you look in the pic to the right you will see a purple haired girl. On either side of her are the artists we got. Linda is to the right with the blonde hair, holding a piece of paper and Dean is to the left working on the girl in the red shirt. Sorry we didn't get better pics, but by the time we were inside we were a little delirious and a little star struck.I highly recommend checking out all the links above to get great info on the shop and the artists we had the pleasure of getting our work done by. 

As I sat in Linda's chair I had a quick flashback to my previous tattoo and prayed for a smoother ride. For those that don't know the story, the condensed version is this. Richard and I got tattoos a few years ago in Gainesville at a shop who advertised buy one get one tattoos. Turns out this wasn't exactly true but we were there so we got them anyways. I got mine, which was my first, on my back with a good portion of if going over the spine. Turns out this is probably not a great place for a first tattoo as it hurt like a mother fucker. Not great language but it gets across the level of pain lol. It was also about a million degrees in the shop as often happens in Texas businesses. About halfway through I started getting a little hot and had a mild ringing in my ears. Then a little tunnel vision and I told my artist I needed a minute. He stopped and I am sure realized that i was about to drop. The shop was very attentive and sprayed me with water and gave me candy. About the same time another person getting a tattoo had the same thing happen. The owner went crazy and told everyone to pay better attention to their clients and he cranked down the A/C. After a few minutes I felt better and got the tattoo finished. It was a great experience in the end and as most tattoos do, it left me wanting more. As you can tell, I am incapable of telling a condensed story. Back to the present and Linda is super sweet, I decided in my mind that we were going to be best friends. On the outside I think I just smiled a lot. She got started and I remembered how much this shit hurts. But I quickly took the focus off the pain and redirected it to the experience and before I knew it, it was over and I was inked again. Richard got called about 20 minutes after me and from what I could see, his went off without a hitch. Once again he made it look effortless.  
Before
After




The results
My Tibetan 13
Richard's Mayan 13













We had a blast and are super happy with our tattoos and I am pretty sure we are both already planning our next one!! Much love to you all! Thanks for reading and don't forget to "like" and "share" with anyone and everyone. Until next time.....



As per request, here is the one on my back. Richard designed it for me. All you Alias fans look closely. hehe

2 comments:

  1. I think you should post a picture of the one on your back, since you mentioned it. It's only right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been updated to include the pic of my back tattoo. Thanks for the request and for reading!

      Delete