Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Purple Party!!


Hey everyone, just a quick update about our weekend. It was Dallas Purple Party Weekend and we had a blast. We did some last minute shopping because apparently purple isn't in our normal color selection. I had so much fun with my green hair on St. Patrick's Day that I decided since it was the Purple Party I should go for purple hair, seems logical right? In the right light it was purple but clearly from the pics, it was slightly more pink than purple. But the point of the night was to have fun so off we went to Dallas.
The bottle said purple.
One of the big reasons I wanted to go to the opening night party was that my best squirrel friend (in my head) Manilla Luzon was going to be performing. Sahara Davenport was performing as well. These fabulous ladies are from RuPaul's Drag Race. If you haven't seen it, check it out. It is a great show. Usually I can take or leave drag, but watching the show you get that weird sense that you know the people and Manilla was my all time favorite.

We got to S4 at 9:30 in the hopes that we could beat the line. Mostly because it was trying to storm and I had sprayed on purple hair and the purple streaked wet dog look is no longer in. The line moved quickly and we got inside. We got a couple drinks and found out the the first show wasn't until 11pm. Now as anyone who has ever been to a gay club can tell you, 9:30 is not a great time for a crowd. Depending on the night, 11:30 might be a little early. So we just pulled up a couple of bar stools and enjoyed the music and some chit chat about our weeks.

Finally 11pm rolls around and they start the show. We assumed that they would start with the local talent first, and they did. Like I said before, I can take or leave a drag show but I forgot that here in Dallas you get some serious production numbers. None of the "just stand there and lip sync" stuff. Manilla makes it to the stage and it was almost surreal to see her. I know I am at a drag show and that she is a drag queen so it makes perfect sense but I think it goes back to that feeling that you know someone that you watch over and over on TV. Sahara came out and did a number and we knew that they would not perform again for quite a while so we let the pounding music from downstairs pull us off our bar stools and on to the dance floor.
When we hit the dance floor, it was late enough and Purple Party enough for it to be packed. And not just a typical late Saturday night packed. This place was wall to wall sardine realness. And for the first time in my experience, we had Furries at S4. No not Furbies, Furries (Google it). I can only imagine how hot they must have been in those suits in addition to it being a million degrees since it was so full. We danced for an hour or so and then decided that we were going to go pay our tab and head home.
Throw a "color" party and the gays will pack a club.
HEHEHE Furries! These were a little stinky though.
Shoulda been purple lights.
Gotta luv a Heather!
We got back upstairs to pay our tab and Manilla was on stage again so I got up close and took this great pic. I figured I had to have at least one pic that was at least mostly in focus. As we were heading out, we learned that there was going to be a secret meet and greet. Thankfully one of those handjobs I begrudgingly gave in the bathroom to important looking people paid off. Oh come on now, like you have never done something a little degrading to get access to something you wouldn't have had access to otherwise?? I don't believe you.  All you need is a little hand sanitizer and you are fine. Besides, it is in a gay club, I carry sanitizer there all the time. We headed off to from what I can tell from the pic, was probably called the "blood red" room and waited what we hoped would be just a short while. Since we were waiting on a gay guy and a drag queen combined, it didn't seem promising.


Surprisingly enough there weren't many people waiting and we made our way to the front of the line with ease. Having inside information makes everything easier. If only I had checked to see if I had my emergency Sharpie packed in my utility belt. No autographs but I got to be in a fabulous drag queen sandwich. Once again, I swear the bottle said it was PURPLE. Either way there are now 2 more names on my "Famous People I Have Met" list. It grows more rapidly all the time.
I will leave you with a parting shot of me sleeping on a towel. By the time our wild and crazy night was over, I just didn't have it in me to wash it out. Thanks again for reading, everyone. Until next time. Since it seems fitting, "If you can't love yourself, how in the hell you gonna love somebody else??? Can I get an Amen up in here? Now let the music play."
Try not to get too excited about seeing me in bed.







No comments:

Post a Comment