Thursday, January 2, 2014

2013, What a Year.

On this 1st day of 2014, I find myself like most people, looking back on the year that was 2013. I scoured my pics and posts and found my favorites and thought why not share them with all of you. So here we go, hope you enjoy.


 Let us begin with forays into the adult beverage category. As my dad pointed out recently, he was pretty certain we had been to every bar in DFW due to my MANY alcohol related pics and posts. This is far from true, but he wasn't wrong about my posts. It was a great year for mostly responsible drinking (the irresponsible drinking involves taxi cabs). Tons of breweries and brunches and beer bars. Big shout outs to BBC, Ginger Man and Strangeways! When in Dallas, I highly recommend them. We dipped our toes into the home brew thing and had a blast doing it. It requires patience. But the end result is beer so it is worth the wait. I think we will save up and get a better kit and better supplies before attempting it again. Then there was Brewvolution, talk about a beer lovers dream. A never ending field of breweries just begging you to taste their wares. The swag is pretty awesome too. The best score of the day was this sweet hat from La Chouffe. I saw people wearing them and since I have a bizarre hat fetish, I had to have one. Sadly, they only gave them out to the VIPS. We talked to this lady who had one and Richard did his best to convince her to give it to me. She declined on TWO separate occasions but as she was leaving she offered it up. I felt very bonded to my craft beer people. I was then approached by a rep from the Beer Drinkers Society and their winner of tickets to Brewvolution. The winner's wife was unable to attend and he had generously given her VIP ticket to a stranger waiting in the non VIP line.  All his wife wanted was one of these amazing hats. They offered to buy it from me, but I felt this was one of those "pay it forward" moments so I gave him the hat. I am pretty sure I got some karma points.




 In an attempt to keep this pic heavy post from lagging your computer I put in a page break so click the read more button just below here for the rest of the story.

I think I will just group these next pics into an animal category for obvious reasons. I fed a giraffe and rode an elephant. I got lots of love from the animal world. I do realize that neither of those things is some sort of super exclusive club activity and that lots of other people have probably done both but they both pretty much rocked my face off. The elephant ride was a little odd since I was riding single, they put me in the very back and then sat a dad and his 2 kids with me. You really feel like you KNOW somebody when they have to slide back into you as a total stranger.

This one could have gone in the alcohol section but I liked it better with animals. Sometimes day drinking makes you do random things such as braiding your cat. Probably a good sign that maybe day drinking by yourself, isn't in your own best interest. Who am i kidding, I don't even own a cat. Besides, if I am day drinking, you can bet that it isn't alone. (Brunch buddies, you know who you are)


Disclaimer: No actual bunnies were harmed in the making of this picture. It was early one Saturday morning and we were heading for a double whammy of a weekend. Our first trip to Austin and it was PRIDE. We headed down our street and as we got to the end I drove past this poor dead bunny. I laughed out loud and stopped the car. I had experienced genius and turned the car around and staged the now famous "Death of the Pride Bunny" photo. My neighbor came outside while we shot this and I am sure it was a little disturbing, she still won't make eye contact with me. I think it is a masterpiece on par with "Baby's Arm Holding An Apple". I may have found a calling.

Death of the Pride Bunny
Baby's Arm Holding An Apple

 Halloween, Day of the Dead. Great inspiration, it is Halloween so you gotta go big or go home.  Richard knocked it out of the park as usual. He made the awesome dress out of some red fabric and a combination of a couple dresses generously donated to the cause by our friends. (Thanks Again) He also made his shirt and did the makeup on both of us. I think it was a 2.5 hour process. It was POURING rain that night as we drove to the club and when we were going to make a break for the bar, I made a critical error. I knew in my mind that I could jump the torrent of curb high whitewater roaring down the street. I simply forgot to factor in that I was wearing a dress and heels. I went down hard into the water. IT WAS HILARIOUS! The rain eventually stopped and a great time unfolded.


  I took up a new hobby.

I met lots of sexy women. Like moths to the flamer I guess.
GIRLS, GIRLS, GIRLS!
My favorite Coyote!
Clearly this one could have been in the alcohol section.


 Half marathon, WHAAAAAAAAAT? Yup, did that. It was one of the best experiences and challenges in my life. The best feeling ever coming across the finish line. Can't wait for the next one in March! I need another heavy medal.



I realize as I travel memory lane that this post is getting super long so I will just caption the remaining good times without the rambling. Enjoy!


Met a bunch of new friends!
Marched in a rally.
It is true.
Met this crazy gal!
This happened at Richard's birthday.
Met Ann Rice!
My bestie Boomer fell into a mother fucking sinkhole!
Rainbow tutus.
My yard vultures.
  
Ok, this one gets a little more than a caption. I proposed to Richard for Christmas, he said yes. Best memory of 2013 for sure. Obviously Texas still frowns on this sort of thing so we will be going to San Fran and then having a killer reception some time this summer so watch for the invites. Big thanks to my niece and nephew for helping me pull it off and to my sisters for not asking too many questions.
This super sweet New Years Eve surprise!
 


To a great 2013 and an amazing 2014!



 Thank you to everyone who took the time to read this. As always, I hope you enjoyed it. I have been gone from this blog for too long. This flashback of sorts has been inspiring. Expect more soon!



1 comment:

  1. You guys are amazing and I'm lucky to have you two as friends. Love you Mig!

    ReplyDelete